Monday, August 5, 2013

We Need People

We need more people.  There was a time in this nation when nearly everyone had a people group.  It might be your neighborhood, or your sports team, or your job, your family or your church.  Today we have more means to connect (technology) but we actually do less real connecting.

I am currently in a battle with Parkinson's and heart disease and I know that doing more real connecting is going to be vital to winning this battle.  It seems that when we face this kind of health battle that it tends to isolate us.  I was Pastoring a small church of 60-80 people when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's but today we rarely hear from any of them.  My family has been stellar in their support but it seems as though this disease scares people.  They don't know what to say or do.  I have a message for you if you know anyone in a battle like this.  Just be there because we need people in our lives more than ever now.

People help us feel normal.  You don't need special training to be a friend.  Prov. 17:17 says that "a brother (friend) is born for times of adversity."  I want to find a way to connect with others who are in adversity because of a health challenge.  I don't have all the answers, in fact I'm still just discovering what all the questions are and that's hard for me.  I have always been a part of management and people expected me to have all the answers.  I really believe that God has all of the answers we need, but apparently He intends to use people to bring them to us.  If you feel like you need a friend please feel free to write me or comment.

Let's start a conversation about the impact of disease that can help many.

2 comments:

  1. Dan is right. We walk by faith daily since our son, Dan, named to honor Pastor Dan, was diagnosed three years ago with a brain tumor. Fifteen brain surgeries later he is still fighting for his life AND playing varsity basketball, earning straight A's, and planning a basketball tournament to benefit St. Jude's hospital. Friends celebrated small victories, but I sat alone in a darkened room as he struggled with life-threatening complications. It seems that people are warm and generous initially, but lack the stamina to support a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about your sons difficulty. Don't give up or give in and don't allow this to isolate you or your family. My sole purpose for this blog is to start an epidemic of hope for those who are facing severe illness. We will continue to pray for you and your son that God will bring you through this. We love you guys still.

      Delete