Thursday, June 20, 2013

Change that works

I really enjoy variety and adventure, don't you.  I think that's why most people never succeed in losing wweight on a diet.  At their core they are boring.  No one wants to eat the same thing day after day, no matter how healthy it is.  This past January Cindi and I watched a doccumentary called "Forks over Knives" that was about how we treat heart disease in America.  I would recommend watching this yourself if this subject moves you in any way.  I have had three members of my immediate family struck by heart disease already so I wanted to watch it.  It's about a well known doctor from the Cleveland Clinic who is treating patients with heart disease by changing their diet and eating a primarily plant based diet.  The idea of giving up meat, dairey, and processed foods seemed like a draconian undertaking, but it was well worth trying if it could help me lose weight, lower my blood sugar, cholesteral, and blood pressure.  I am glad to report that I have lost nearly 30 pounds, and 4 inches off my waist since starting, and of course I spend time at the club 5 days a week exercising as well.

The good news about changing our eating habits is that it isn't boring.  Cindi is always coming up with new recipes to try and generally they turn out very well.  My tastebuds feel very well compensated at mealtime.  And here is the real kicker.  I don't miss meat, and that is something I never would have believed.  The other night she made a new dish that combined wheat noodles and chick peas that was just incredible.  This started out as a diet we were trying but it has become a new lifestyle that we are living.  All of my vitals are improving as well.  My weight, cholesteral, blood sugar, and blood pressure levels are all dropping.  Our health is improving and so is life.  So there it is.  We are living proof that a plant based diet will give you a much healthier life than a Big Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment