Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Truth About Me

I was fat and unhealthy. There I said it.  It is easier to hear if you are saying it to yourself, and sometimes we need a crisis before we start telling ourselves the truth.  For me that crisis came several months ago when I learned that my older brother had had a heart attack and they put a stint in his heart to save his life.  I went up to New Jersey to be with him for part 2 which was another surgical procedure to insert stint #2 into his heart.  The surgery went smoothly and he is doing well today, but that day I began to tell myself the truth about my own condition. I was in danger and I knew it.  Two other people in my immediate family had died of a heart attack and now my brother was facing this same situation.

We tell ourselves so many lies.  I'm just big boned.  I have slow metabolism.  I'm not that fat.  I'm just a little overweight.  I'm just getting a little older.  These are all things that we tell ourselves so that we can justify sitting on the couch for a few more years.  I'll quit smoking someday,  or I'll start working out later.  I'm going to have just one more slice of that dessert, after all I don't get the chance to taste that very often.

I was tipping the scale at about 210 lbs when I took that trip and today I weighed in at 177 lbs. I went through bypass surgery 10 weeks ago and spent 8 days in the hospital, which temporarily stalled my quest to get down to a healthy weight, but today I am down 33 lbs since I told myself the truth that I was fat and in danger.  Why not tell yourself the truth today, and then do something about it.  Don't wait for a crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment