Friday, June 14, 2013

Fight for your health

You will have to fight for your health.  I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease about 17 months ago but not without a fight.  I don't mean fighting the disease (we are doing that), but we had to fight to find out what was wrong with me.  Several years ago my wife started to notice some things in my health that distressed her.  As a result she started going to my doctor's visits with me so that she could ask the doctor questions.  He calmly assured her that there was nothing really wrong with me and that I was just getting a little older.  I am only 58 now, and am convinced that old doesn't start for at least another 20 years.  After all I was working hard with my business, at the church, and on the farm.  We owned 160 acres of land, borded horses, and still were riding every week.

Her persistance finally paid off when my doctor told her that if she was really concerned she should make me an appointment with a neurologist and get a second opinion.  That was just his way of poo- pooing my wife, because he was asleep at the switch.  The day of that first office visit with the neurologist was the day I found out that I had Parkinson's.  Thank God she kept pressing because finding out what was really going on in my body has saved my life.

There have been many other battles since then but we keep fighting.  I am fighting Parkinson's and the impact of heart surgery.  Every day that I get up and go to the gym I am fighting back.  So no matter what shape you are in right now I just want you to know that you'll have to fight for your health, and by the way, we got another doctor who is paying attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment