Thursday, June 6, 2013

Embrace Change

Sometimes I look in the mirror and ask the question, what's happening to me? Life is changing so rapidly since the heart attack just 10 weeks ago.  It was the week of March 16th when I had a heart attack and Dr. Luu opened up my chest so that they could perform quadruple bypass surgery. So much has changed in my life since then that sometimes I feel like my head is going to just spin around in circles. I had already changed my diet, in fact, I haven't eaten meat now in over 4 months. I am now putting almond milk on my cereal and today I ate a noodle bowl with vegetables and tofu. I have discovered that real men can actually eat tofu, and I think I like the stuff. I am in the gym 5 days a week for 1.5-2 hours, lifting more weight and running farther than I have in years.  I just got in from riding a bicycle for a little more than 2 miles this afternoon with my wife, and having her by my side has made it so much easier to endure all of this change.  I didn't know that I ever resisted change.  I thought that I was open to new information and idea's, but I was wrong because I was just trying to keep life the same.  Now I realize what I gained by holding on to the status quo.  I went from 180 lbs in college up to 260 lbs at my peak.  I went from a 30 inch waist to a 44 inch waist gradually over about a 30 year period.  Holding on to the status quo took me to the door of death from a heart attack.  So when I think about all the change going on I think about the most important change of all.  I am getting healthy. I hope you will decide to embrace change and join me on this healthier path of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment