Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'm torn

I'm torn.  I really believe in the opportunity that comes to us in this nation.  I believe that we have great freedom and many have died to protect our liberty but I'm torn when I see fast food killing people all around me.  Our nation has become addicted to all the things that make us unhealthy and cause extreme obesity.  I spent many years watching my waist get larger, my sugar levels getting higher, my cholesterol increasing, and my blood pressure going up.  Then 3 months ago I came close to death with a heart attack that put me into quadruple bypass heart surgery.  So now when I see fast food commercials on TV I can't help wondering if Corporate America knows what they are doing to our nation.  If we shut down the fast food industry today it would save our nation billions of dollars we are spending on health care right now, but at the same time I don't want the government trying to tell us what we can or can't eat.  This is why they put warning labels on cigarettes and we no longer see commercials that tell us that smoking is cool.  Maybe if we put a warning label on a Big Mac or Whopper we can save some lives.  It's something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. i really like this, and i agree. at the same time, you know that so many people would respond by saying, oh that's big government, regulation kills freedom, let the market decide!
    when the market is boss, we lose control over our society. what about other goods we desire, such as flourishing, forgiveness, wholeness and healing. when the market-based structure of society doesn't encourage those things, or even openly obstructs them, then what do we do?
    at the very least, i think the market should work for us, and not vice-versa.
    nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be something called a corporate conscience but I believe that has gone the way of the 8track tape. If this doesn't change our society will continue to disintegrate. Perhaps the internet will help? At least this gives the average guy a voice.

      Delete