Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blood pressure spike?

Sometimes timing is everything.  Last week I found out that my blood pressure was way up so I'm on the hunt to discover why.  I tested out good the last time I was at the doctor's office with a 127/73 reading, but  now I am up nearly 50 points.  This is not good for anyone but especially not for a guy who had open heart surgery 4 months ago.  It turns out that doctors say that weight lifting can cause  a spike in your blood pressure and I should have done enough investigating to know that already.  Nobody is as responsible for my blood pressure as I am.  I am going to need 2 weeks of consistent daily recordkeeping to get a real feel for what is happening.  I stopped lifting after last Friday and my pressure began to drop already overnight.  The question is how far will it drop and will it stay down without adding a new medication.  The problem with new medications is that they bring new side effects.  Fortunately, we were going on vacation this week to Cancun so I am planning on a simple week of walking, resting, playing and enjoying myself with my lovely wife Cindi and two of my grown children.  I'll know within two weeks if reducing my weightlifting will do the job.  No matter what, I can't afford to walk around with elevated blood pressure, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment