Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Breakfast

Men who skip breakfast are 27% more likely to suffer a heart attack, or to develop heart disease than those who start their day with something in their stomachs.  This Harvard study found that men who skipped breakfast are more likely to gain weight, develop Type 2 Diabetes and suffer from Hypertension.

I began to skip breakfast in my early twenty when I was newly married, starting a new career, and a new family.  It's hard to get going early when you really love the woman you just married, so I just skipped breakfast to stay in bed for a few more minutes to snuggle.  This leaves you starting your day without enough fuel in your tank so you either grab an early snack or a fast food breakfast on the way to work.  Dunkin Doughnuts and McDonalds have made a highly profitable business out of meeting this need.  The problem is that empty calories don't provide fuel that will last so you are tired earlier every day.  You end up eating more than you need at your next meal and this just becomes a vicious cycle.  As my waist size grew my movement slowed and my health was on a steady decline.

Today I'm up early every morning an I never start my day without breakfast.  Eating this important meal has been a vital part of reclaiming my health over the last 9 months.  Oat meal is the number one method of lowering your cholesterol and this is a great way to promote heart health.  So tomorrow morning grab a bowl and a spoon and eat something healthy for breakfast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment