Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Life or death?

It's became a matter of life or death.  Four months ago I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery, and as I lay in the hospital for eight days I finally realized that I was fighting in a battle that was between life and death.  This was no longer just a matter of how I looked in the latest shirt I bought.  It wasn't about how much larger my jeans were now.  This was serious, and could be fatal.  I needed to lose weight and pursue the process of reclaiming my health.  The candy, the cakes, the sugar and fats we are taking into our bodies are putting our lives in danger and we can't see it.  McDonald's and Burger King are not rooting for you, they are rooting against you.  Fast food in America is poison as surely as if they were serving strychnine.  If I sound like an alarmist it is only because I am alarmed.  Our situation is desperate because we are committing voluntary suicide at mealtime all across our nation, and here is the worst part.  People who are living in poverty are eating the most unhealthy foods in this nation.  It's very difficult to buy fresh foods of any kind in lower income neighborhoods.  The poor eat more processed foods than anyone.  We must begin to see our diet for what it really is...a matter of life or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment